Recording an Invoice Payment
To record a payment directly on an invoice, follow these steps:
1. Go to the invoice that the payment is for and scroll to the bottom of the invoice where you will find a section to record a payment. If this section doesn't appear then the check the invoice status - the invoice must have the status "Approved" in order to record a payment.
2. Enter the payment details. If the payment is for more than the amount due on the invoice an overpayment will be created for the excess amount that can then be applied to other invoices.
3. If you want to send an email to notify the customer that a payment has been received check the box to send the payment received email.
4. Submit the form.
*If you will be processing payments for multiple invoices, click the option icon on the right of the button and click the "Charge & View Next Unpaid" and you will be brought to the next unpaid invoice after the charge has been completed.
Recording a Payment Before Invoicing
If you need to record a payment before you've invoiced the client, you can follow these steps:
1. Go to the Billing tab and click Payments.
2. In the sidebar, click the Record Payment link.
3. Enter the payment details.
4. To record additional payments click the "Save & Add New" otherwise click the "Save" button.
5. When you create an invoice for the client, you'll be able to allocate the payment to the invoice.
**Need more help? Watch a video