The SMS Lesson Reminders add-on allows you to send lesson reminders to teachers, students and families on their mobile phones via text message.
To enable and setup SMS Lesson Reminders, follow these steps:
1. Log into your Admin account.
2. Go to the Account & Settings tab and click the Integrations & Add-Ons option.
3. Find the "SMS Lesson Reminders" add-on and click the "Enable" link.
1. From the Integrations & Add-Ons page, find the "SMS Lesson Reminders" add-on.
2. Click the "Manage Settings" link.
3. For each recipient type (employee, student, family) you can customize the message template and lead time.
- Keep in mind that SMS messages are limited to 160 characters and that if you use merge tags the substituted words may use more characters than the merge tags and may go over the limit. If you go over the limit your message will be split and you will be billed for each message.
- Adjust the lead time to control how many hours before the lesson to send the SMS reminder. SMS reminders are sent every hour on the hour. If you set your lead time to 1 hour, the reminders sent at 3pm will include all lessons from 4:00pm to 4:59pm.
4. Submit the form to save your changes.
Purchasing SMS Credit
In order to send SMS lesson reminders, you will need to purchase credits beforehand. To purchase credits, click the "Buy Credits" link under the "SMS Lesson Reminders" section on the Integrations & Add-ons page.
SMS prices depend on the country of the recipient. You can view the price by country on the "Buy Credits" page by selecting your country in the "View SMS Rates by Country" menu.
Enabling on User Profiles
Once the SMS Lesson Reminders Add-on has been enabled, a check box will be displayed under the Notifications section on employee, family and student profiles.
Check the box and submit the form to send SMS reminders to that person's mobile phone.
The mobile phone field on the person's profile must have a valid phone number in order for SMS messages to be sent.
Mobile Phone Number Format
Outside of North America:
You will need to enter mobile phone numbers on student, family or employee profiles using the E.164 format which begins with the country code including the "+" symbol at the beginning. For example, phone numbers in the UK would begin with +44 followed by the subscriber number.
In the UK and many other countries internationally, local dialing requires the addition of a 0 in front of the subscriber number. However, to use E.164 formatting, this 0 must be removed. A number such as 020 7183 8750 in the UK would be formatted as +44 20 7183 8750.
In North America:
The SMS service will automatically convert US numbers to the correct format. As long as the number on the customer profile has 10 digits you will be able to send text message notifications.
If you need to check if the format for a particular phone number is valid you can check here: https://www.twilio.com/lookup.
SMS Delivery Statuses: