Recording a Refund
To refund a payment you'll need to follow these steps:
- Go to payment that you want to refund. You can access this from the Payments table, a customer's Transaction History, or on an invoice if the payment has been allocated to an invoice.
- In the upper right corner click the "Options" menu and click the "Refund" option. This option will only be displayed if the payment has not been fully allocated to invoices. If it has been fully allocated, you would to first unallocate it from any invoices before you can refund the payment. (However, in this case the better method would be to issue a credit note and refund the credit note -- so that you can keep the records for the original invoice and payment).
- Complete the details on the refund form. You will be able to set the refund amount to any value up to the unallocated balance of the payment.
- Submit the form.
The refund will appear in your payments table as well as on the page showing the payment that was refunded.
Deleting a Refund
If you've recorded a refund incorrectly and you want to delete it, you can follow these steps:
- Click on Billing and then click on "Payments"
- Click on the "View" icon next to the refund to view it (You can use the date filters and/or the "Search" field to find the refund).
- In the upper right corner, click the "Options" menu.
- Click the "Delete" option.
Note About Refunding Stripe Payments: If you record a refund in Teachworks, this will create a record of the refund, but it will not return money to the client's credit card. To refund credit card payments, you will need to go to the payment in your Stripe account and click on the "Refund" option. You can find detailed instructions in this article: Stripe - Refunding a Customer.