To accept online payments from your customers you can create a Stripe account and then connect it to your Teachworks account.
Stripe is a payment processor that provides companies with several unique benefits for payment processing including:
No monthly fee or setup fees - only a small percentage of the processed transactions is charged.
No fees for declined transactions
No merchant account required
Begin accepting payments immediately after signing up
If you don't have a Stripe account yet you can sign up for one at www.stripe.com or you can sign up during the process of connecting your Teachworks account with Stripe.
To connect your Teachworks account to your stripe account, follow these steps:
Go to the Account & Settings tab and click "Integrations & Add-Ons"
Under the Stripe section, click the "Manage" link.
Click the button to "Connect to Stripe"
Choose to allow Teachworks to connect to your Stripe Account.
If you have a Stripe Account already you can just log in, otherwise you can complete the Stripe sign up form.
Once completed you will be directed back to your Teachworks account and you should see the options for the Stripe integration.
Now when clients view their invoices, a "Pay Online" button will be displayed on the invoice allowing them to pay online by credit card.
If you ever want to stop accepting online payments from your customers, you can follow these steps:
- Click on Account & Settings and then click on Integrations & Add-ons
- Click on "Manage" under the Stripe Integration
- Click on the "Disconnect from Stripe" link on the right hand side
- Click the "Disconnect from Stripe" button to confirm the disconnection
Managing Cards & Charging Cards on Behalf of Clients
1. Enabling - By default, clients are able to manage and pay invoices with credit cards on their own. If you would like to be able to manage and charge credit cards on behalf of clients from administrator or staff accounts you can check the "Charge & Manage Client Cards" check box under found under "Integrations & Add-ons > Stripe > Manage".
2. Adding Credit Cards to Client Profiles - Once enabled, a "Credit Cards" field is added on client profiles under the "Payment Details" section and will have a "View & Manage" link that you can click to add, edit or delete the client's credit cards.
3. Charging Clients - When you view a client's invoice from your admin or staff account and the client has a credit card saved, the payment form displayed at the bottom of an unpaid invoice will display an option to charge the invoice balance to one of the client's saved credit cards.
Customer User Accounts
Customers that user accounts enabled can log in and go to Billing -> Credit cards to add, edit, remove or set the default credit card in their Teachworks account.
If managing and charging credit cards on behalf of clients, you can fill in the “Charge Consent” field to display the types of transactions that clients consent you to charge their credit card for. This will appear in locations where clients save their credit card for future transactions.
Issuing a Refund
Recording a refund in Teachworks will only create a record of the refund, but it will not actually return the money to your client's credit card. To refund a credit card payment, you will need to login to Stripe and click on the "Refund" option. Your customer should see the refund as a credit approximately 5 - 10 business days later, depending on their bank.
Stripe supports 138 currencies. Stripe payments are based off of the currency you have setup in your Teachworks account. In order for your payments to be processed by Stripe, you must make sure that the currency for your Teachworks account is included in Stripe's supported currencies: Stripe Currencies
ACH Payments are supported for companies based in the US. ACH payments, or Automated Clearing House, are payments where you charge a bank account directly. For more information, please see this article: Stripe ACH Payments.
Payment Received Notification
If you wish to have the option to send your customers a "Payment Received Email" you will need to enable the "Payments received Email" in your "Account Settings" > "Invoice Settings". This setting will allow you to send your customers an email each time a payment is recorded - providing they have a valid email address.
In order to see the total of your Stripe fees, you will need to access your Stripe account. You can find more information on Stripe fees and how to access a report here:
Strong Customer Authentication (SCA)
If you are a European company with European customers, your customers will be required to use Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) to confirm payments or to save credit cards. The Stripe integration will automatically prompt clients to complete this step during the payment process if it is required by their bank.
If you charge your customer's credit cards on their behalf, there may be some situations where banks will require a customer to re-authenticate a payment using the saved credit card. In this situation, you can bring the client "on-session" to complete and authenticate the payment. You can email the invoice to the client and they can use the “Pay Online” button to authenticate and complete the transaction.
Note: Make sure that you have not checked the 'Hide "Pay Online" Button from Clients' in your Stripe Integration settings in Teachworks to ensure that the payment button is visible to the client.