The Invoice Autopilot Add-On allows you to set up a schedule that will generate invoices automatically.
Enabling the Invoice Autopilot Add-On
To enable automated invoices, follow these steps:
- Log into your administrator account and click the “Add-ons & Integrations” option under the Account & Settings tab.
- Find the “Invoice Autopilot” add-on.
- Click the “Enable” link.
Creating an Invoice Autopilot Schedule
To create an invoice autopilot schedule, follow these instructions:
- Go to the Billing tab and click the “Add Invoice Schedule” option.
- Click the “Add New Schedule” option in the sidebar.
- Complete the form for the Schedule Settings using the details below and submit the form.
There are two steps involved when setting up a new Autopilot Schedule:
Step 1: Schedule Settings:
- Title - Enter a title that will help you identify the schedule in case you need to make changes
- Start/End - Enter the start and end dates for the period of time that the invoices will be generated. The start date will be the beginning of the first invoice period and the end date should include the end of invoice period for the very last invoices that you want to generate with the schedule.
- Frequency - Choose how frequently the schedule will generate invoices. You can repeat daily, weekly, monthly plus several variations for each of these periods.
- Timing - You can choose to generate the invoices at the beginning of each invoice period if you invoice clients in advance, or at the end of each period if you invoice clients after their lessons.
- Offset - You can choose to generate invoices a number of days before or after the invoice date.
- Due Date Offset - you can set the due date relative to the invoice date.
- Invoice Number - invoice numbers will be set automatically, continuing from the previous invoice number.
- Including Lessons - to add any lessons that are scheduled during the invoice period, check the "Include Lessons" check box.
- Skip Blank - If you are only including lessons on the invoice, it's a good idea to check the box to skip blank invoices in case a client doesn't have any lessons for any of the invoice periods.
- Status - If you want to review invoices before they're available to clients, you can set the status to "Saved". After reviewing you can change the status to "Approved".
- Send Invoice - If you set the status to "Approved" you can have the invoices sent immediately by checking this box.
If you want to generate invoices after a day has been completed, you should set the offset to 1 day after the invoice date in the schedule settings. This will cause the invoice for the previous day to be generated in the first 6 hours of the following day.
Viewing Scheduled Invoices
- You can view upcoming invoices in a schedule by clicking the "View" icon in the Invoice Schedules table.
- You can view invoices that have already been generated by the Invoice Autopilot in the Invoices table.
Step 1: Choose Schedule Settings
Schedule Title: If you’re planning to add a number of schedules, choose a title that will make it easy to spot this schedule if you want to make any adjustments in future.
Schedule Begins/Ends: This can be set far into the future - it defaults to a year.
Invoice Repeat: Monthly, every 1 month, each 1st day of the month.
Timing: Generate Invoices at the beginning of invoice period (this allows you to add upcoming lessons and bill in advance)
Step 2: Choose Invoice Settings
Customers: Add all the customers that you want to include in the schedule here. If you’d like to select all customers, click the “Select All” option.
Note: If you add more customers to Teachworks, remember to go back and add them to the schedule.
Due Date Offset: Set as required
Choose the “Add Lessons” option to include individual lessons on the invoice. Since this autopilot schedule will generate invoices that occur in future, choose the option to include “All” lesson statuses (lessons will only be marked as attended after they’ve occurred).
Skip if Blank: Choose this option to ensure that the autopilot doesn’t generate invoices with no lessons on them.
Skip if Total Zero: Choose this option to ensure that lessons with a 0 invoice total are not created.
Invoice Status: If you’d like to review invoices before sending them to your clients, set the status to “Saved”. If you don’t have to review them, you can choose the “Approved” Option.
Send Invoice Emails: This option will appear if you select the “Approved” option. Tick the box if you’d like to email invoices to your clients as soon as they’ve been created.
Step 3: Review Schedule
Once you’ve created your Invoice Autopilot Schedule, you can view the dates on which invoices will be generated and sent. To do this, go to Billing -> Invoice Autopilot Schedules and click the View icon in the relevant row. A page will display with a summary of your settings as well as the schedule.
Invoice Date: The date that will display on the invoice.
Create Date: The date on which invoices will be generated.
Invoice Period: The date range that will be used to pull lessons from the calendar on to each invoice.
Status: Once invoices have been created, the status will update to “Completed”