If a customer receives a message indicating that their transaction was declined when trying to pay their invoice, you will need to follow the following steps to find out the reason for the error.
- Log into your Stripe account.
- Click the "Customers" option in the sidebar or use the search field to find the customer.
- Click on the customer in the results to view their profile.
- Under the "Payments" heading you can view the customer's recent payments.
- Click on a payment and look at the Status field under the Payment Details heading where the error message will be displayed if the transaction couldn't be processed.
- The error may be specific or it may be generic in which case you can find more information about declined transactions from Stripe here: Declines.