When a payment is processed in Stripe, the customer's bank will return a response indicating if the payment was successful or failed. When receiving a message indicating that the transaction was declined when attempting to pay their invoice, you will need to follow the steps below to find out the reason for the error:
- Log into your Stripe account.
- Click the "Customers" option in the sidebar or use the search field to find the customer.
- Click on the customer in the results to view their profile.
- Under the "Payments" heading you can view the customer's recent payments.
- Click on a payment and look at the Status field under the Payment Details heading where the error message will be displayed if the transaction couldn't be processed.
- The error may be specific or it may be generic in which case you can find more information about declined transactions from Stripe here: Declines.
Another option for viewing the reason that a customer might have had a declined credit card payment in your Stripe account is to use the Payments tab. To view this information, please follow the steps below:
Login to your Stripe Account
On the left hand menu, click on “Payments”
Click on the “Filter” button at the top right
- Clicking on a payment will provide more detailed information, such as the timeline, as well as the bank detail and a link to Stripe's decline code page
In addition to viewing each failed payments detail page, if you hover your mouse cursor over the “Failed” status, it will provide you with the decline code. This provides you with a quick view of the payment's decline code in case you don't want to view each payment's specific details.
If your request fails, Stripe returns an error using the appropriate status code. For a full list of decline codes and what they refer to, please view Stripe's Decline Codes article on their help site.