Teachworks' Stripe Integration supports SEPA Debit Payments. SEPA payments or Single Europe Payments Area, are payments where you charge a bank account directly.
In order to be able to use Stripe's SEPA Debit Payments feature, you'll need to ensure you meet the following requirements:
- The Currency in your Teachworks account must be set to "Euro".
- Your business must be located in Europe.
- You must complete additional identity verification steps with Stripe.
Enabling SEPA Debit
- Click on "Account & Settings" and then click on "Integrations & Add-ons".
- Click on "Manage" under the Stripe Integration. (If you have not enabled Stripe yet, you can find the steps to do so in the following article: Stripe Integration).
- Enable the SEPA Debit payment feature in the settings page by checking the "Process SEPA Direct Debit Payments on Behalf of Clients" box and save your changes.
- Set your Creditor ID in your Stripe Account, which will appear on client bank statements. You can find more instructions for this and other information here: Stripe SEPA Debit.
Adding Bank Details
After you have enabled SEPA Debit Payments, your clients will be able to login to their Teachworks account and add their SEPA Direct Debit details by following the steps below:
- Click on "Billing" and then click on "Credit Cards".
- Under the "Bank Accounts" section, click on "Add Bank Account".
- Fill out the form.
- Click on "Submit" to save your Bank Account details.
Processing SEPA Debit Payments
If a client has a bank account added to their profile, you will be able to view the "SEPA Debit" option under the "Bank Debit" section on the payment form at the bottom of their invoices in your administrator or staff account.
SEPA Debit Payment Status
- Unlike credit card payments, which return a result in real time, SEPA direct debit payments are not instant. Payments typically takes 5 business days to be processed and arrive in your account.
- Payments that are awaiting verification will appear in your Payments table with the status of "Pending".
- If a payment succeeds, the payment will remain in your Payments table and the "Pending" status will be removed.
- If a payment is declined, you will receive an email notification that includes the payment details, which you can use to view the payment in your Stripe account. When this occurs, the "Pending" payment in your Teachworks account will be removed. If you would like to view the original attempt, you can navigate to the "Payment Attempts" page in your account, which stores the original attempt and the response received from Stripe for the declined payment.
SEPA direct debit transactions have a limit of €10,000 EUR each. New users have an additional weekly limit of €10,000 EUR, which quickly increases as you process more SEPA direct debit payments. If you need higher limits, please contact Stripe support.